Pages

Thursday 6 September 2012

Sugar Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie + Making Date Past

After my last post on natural sweeteners I decided to modify one of my favorite cookie recipes to be sweetened with dates! I love making healthy treats for my family and myself so I am very pleased with how well these turned out. 


When using dates to as a sweetener you also get to pack your creation with fiber, potassium, iron, antioxidants and vitamin A. Dates are good sources of all those important nutrients so they are a wonderful option when looking for healthy treats for toddlers (and grown ups)!


First thing I had to do was make some date paste. I didn't have time to pre-soak my dates which I would make sure to do next time. I had to make twice as much as I needed to get my blender working effectively.  I ended up using ...

1 cup dried pitted dates
1/2 cup water

Next time I would simply soak them for 30 mins to an hour before processing in the blender or food processor.  If you are in a rush like I was this will work just fine but next time I will spare my kitchen appliance the pressure.




I blended them several times until they turned into a luscious creamy paste.




Then I turned my dates into delicious, cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies.





Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Sweetened with Dates

Preheat oven to 350°F

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
3/4 cup Date Paste
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips (I use Enjoy Life Brand)

  1. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. 
  2. Cream date paste and coconut oil together then add to dry ingredients.
  3. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Drop rounded teaspoons onto silicone baking sheet, non-stick pan or greased baking sheet. 
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.
  6. Devour.

C is for Cookie, perfect for snack time!

These cookies are thick and cakey. They have a caramel undertone thanks to the dates and a nice chewy texture. I love them warm with a glass of soy milk. 


Im just going to take a second to rave about Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips!




Enjoy Life makes tons of great products but what I love is that just by seeing their brand name I know I can eat it. Their products are free from wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish and shellfish. As an avid vegan label reader I really appreciate it. Its awesome to not have to read 10 bags of chocolate chips before buying one, I am a busy mama I've got better things to do.  Not to mention there delish!


Now less reading and more healthy cookie making! 








1 comment: